Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Finishing up old projects.


When the dairy went away and I was a stay at home mom, for a little while, I started piecing quilts. I'd done a couple before, but REALLY got into it at this time. I told Stan that he could pick out any quilt that he wanted, and I would make it for him. This is the outer edge of the block.


This is the center of the block.


This is the ring that joins the outer edge and the center.


This is the completed block. Within that 11 inch square is 65 pieces! Needless to say, it takes a little while to do. Circular sewing is the most time consuming. All of these pieces have to be cut with sissors, not a mat and cutting wheel. Sometimes, to make it lay flat, you need to do a little more stitching to bring the folds in. I will post a picture of the finished quilt. I only have 6 blocks to go! When I first started pieces the blocks, it took 2.5 hours per block. I can now do one in an hour!

1 comment:

  1. Deidra, Mary Whipple here. WOW! I enjoyed looking at all the tops you have posted. DeWayne filled me in on your chat. He speaks fondly of you. I have to say, just the picture of your long arm gave me goosebumps. I'm fairly new to quilting, but I know that i can only dream of having a longarm someday. I understand your profile comment about OCD and thanks for posting pics of the backside of your work. I thought I was weird because I love turning my blocks over to admire all the seams, corners, and perfectly straight stitching. Yes, I too, have quilting OCD. I'm happy to meet you.

    ReplyDelete